Welcome Guest - Please login or Register

Author Topic: FFS - what a muppet!!  (Read 306 times)

Bazzdude

FFS - what a muppet!!
« on: January 19, 2012, 07:45:28 AM »
For years I've had problems with hubs and things connected to them losing the connection

Found out today that external and generic hubs have their own power management and windows turns them off

actually have 2 generic and 2 USB hubs listed in Device Manager even though there is only one USB hub connected and have turned off power management on all four devices and all is right with the world again  ;D

anyone want to buy an old hub?  ;D

Offline freedomflight

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia
Re: FFS - what a muppet!!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 08:13:38 AM »
......I have a vast collection of transformers to fit all manner of hubs.  5 volts at the ready! And an array of old drivers to back-clean ohhhh the hours of plugging in to different op systems just to get the buggers to recognize.....hehehe

Bazzdude

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 08:21:49 AM »
had a weird bit of shit with my external DVD writer - PC would not recognise it when it was plugged into the hub (PC recognised 4 external HDDs, wireless adapter, printer and wireless keyboard dongle) - plugged it into a USB slot at the front of the PC (hub connection comes out of the other front one) - PC recognised it - then plugged back into the hub and it is fine again  ::)

Offline freedomflight

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 08:31:46 AM »
...hehehe that's so true a master-stroke of inspiration. Now all you have to do is write down the order of what you unplugged, plugged and speed.... Multiply by 5 and get a beer....hey presto! hehehehe.........

Offline townie2

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 08:32:37 AM »
i've got a portable HD when i try to copy a movie to via "send to", the drive doesn't show up, but if i go to "My Computer" it shows there. luckily i have Win 7, and just open 2 windows, and drag and drop. i think the portable is failing though, movies freeze when playing via media player, but streaming doesn't (unless its a fault with the media player). will have to test the portable i guess. got a couple of hundred GB of movies on it  :o

Offline freedomflight

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
sometimes i do plug direct onto the mobo and a little rewiring to get around it , but make sure you check your usb board pin config ... that's often a perm fix.

Offline busterone™

• Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
  • Devil dog with smile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 04:46:45 PM »
Here is the secret ket to getting everything working together properly in a Windows box.  :P
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.   :P

Offline busterone™

• Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
  • Devil dog with smile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 04:52:08 PM »
attempting image correction.  :D
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.   :P

Bazzdude

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 05:03:12 PM »
so it's really that easy? :D

Offline busterone™

• Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
  • Devil dog with smile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 05:06:54 PM »
Yep.  I have to admit that Win7 has made things much easier than before though.  :)

Offline freedomflight

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 05:17:17 PM »
....math input panel hmmmm hehhe

Bazzdude

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 05:18:35 PM »
Yep.  I have to admit that Win7 has made things much easier than before though.  :)

yup - like it a lot - miles better than Vista :D

especially with the God Mode easter egg  :great:

Offline townie2

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 06:56:39 PM »
attempting image correction.  :D

ok, thanks for that tip Mr. Gates  ;D

Offline busterone™

• Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
  • Devil dog with smile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 07:00:42 PM »
 >:D >:D >:D

Offline townie2

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 07:09:51 PM »
just kidding, i can fix it *townie go to look for his hammer

Offline busterone™

• Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
  • Devil dog with smile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 07:39:47 PM »
An ax works well too.  ;D

Offline townie2

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 07:48:13 PM »
big magnet  :)