Welcome Guest - Please login or Register

Author Topic: LastPass password manager  (Read 548 times)

Bazzdude

LastPass password manager
« on: July 15, 2012, 03:00:32 PM »
http://lastpass.com/

Been testing this for a neighbour who keeps forgetting her passwords and doesn't write them down

Pretty good freeware program that scans your PC and stores all your passwords on a secure server and all you need to remember is your key password if the program stops or any other problem

Even auto logs you in to sites and has a video tutorial and several other tools built in - will keep using this for myself as well as installing it for my mum  :great:

drago6650

Re: LastPass password manager
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 10:05:53 AM »
Looks good Max thanks, I am always forgetting passwords will be a great help.

Offline townie2

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 01:14:12 PM »
Thanks Max, just got it  :)

Bazzdude

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 01:15:53 PM »
 :great:

essential bit of kit these days

Offline townie2

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 01:32:28 PM »
hmm. wonder if i can use the same info (login, password, etc.) on 2 computers since both machines use same sites and passes?

Bazzdude

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 01:34:19 PM »
yup - you can use them on any devices at the same time as long as they are connected to the web :great:

Offline townie2

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 01:45:05 PM »
cool  8)

Offline Henderson

• Spore
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 03:35:30 PM »
I've been using LastPass for over a year now (after my PirateBay account was hacked, no honor among theves!  ;D), and it's absolutely great.  I used to be one of those people who would have only a few passwords ranging from weak for forums, to stronger levels for store, banking, etc., and would use the same password multiple times.  Which really isn't wise to do at all.  Now I have 20 character random generated with special character passwords for all sites, and each site is different. 

Just remember to have a really secure password to your LastPass account and for your email account associated with LastPass.  If a hacker can gain access to your email account, they can easily change your LastPass password, ok it through your email, and gain access to everything.

LastPass is now one of those things I just couldn't live without.

Offline townie2

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 08:01:23 AM »
i had to take it off my netbook, slowed it down a bit, but when you only use one or two passwords anyway........... ;D

Offline JulesAndAl

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 09:23:26 AM »
I even gave it a shot myself, but removed it within a couple of days. Didn't find it as good as my browsers built in manager as far as https is concerned.
Canadian Constitution; "Whereas Canada is founded upon principles that recognize the supremacy of God and the rule of law"

Offline brickbatz

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 07:35:35 PM »
I let Firefox remember passwords, then go to Options > Security > Saved passwords > Show passwords, stretch the box to show all, take a screenshot and save it as .jpg. You can store the image on another computer, on a flash or other external drive. You can print the image... When I register for a site I open notepad, type a username and password, the url, email address and save it as the site name. Then I just copy/paste when I register.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 08:05:22 PM by brickbatz »

Offline JulesAndAl

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 07:41:05 PM »
Yep, just more crappy needless software.
Canadian Constitution; "Whereas Canada is founded upon principles that recognize the supremacy of God and the rule of law"

Offline ProgRocker

• Music Guru
  • Sprout
  • Yeppers
    • My Personal Site
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 10:32:11 AM »
Yep, just more crappy needless software.
Not software, small plugin for browsers

I let Firefox remember passwords, then go to Options > Security > Saved passwords > Show passwords, stretch the box to show all, take a screenshot and save it as .jpg. You can store the image on another computer, on a flash or other external drive. You can print the image... When I register for a site I open notepad, type a username and password, the url, email address and save it as the site name. Then I just copy/paste when I register.

That's the unsecure method of doing it.

I love last pass. I generate 15 character passwords with Capital, numbers and special characters. LastPass is encrypted so it's useless to a hacker unless they have your master password. If lastpass is "slowing down" your computer, you really need to reconsider upgrading from windows 98.

Offline freedomflight

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 11:51:11 AM »
....i write it on paper and then take a pic on my mobile.  ##@

Offline townie2

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 12:12:55 PM »
i have 4 different ones i use, depending on security level, they are progressively harder, with added numbers and symbols.

Bazzdude

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 12:43:02 PM »
i have 4 different ones i use, depending on security level, they are progressively harder, with added numbers and symbols.

Top encryption for a Canuck  :098:

Offline JulesAndAl

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 03:03:21 PM »

I love last pass. I generate 15 character passwords with Capital, numbers and special characters. LastPass is encrypted so it's useless to a hacker unless they have your master password. If lastpass is "slowing down" your computer, you really need to reconsider upgrading from windows 98.

Which does absolutely nothing to make individual sites more secure, but of course each site could be made so the passwords strength is adequate for the purposes of security, but then what advantage does the added software have over the browsers built in password management?

Offline townie2

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 03:26:55 PM »
Top encryption for a Canuck  :098:

beer, Beer. Beer1, Beer#1   ;D  . Canuck enough for you?  ;D

*needless to say, my real passes are MUCH harder  ;D  ).

Offline ProgRocker

• Music Guru
  • Sprout
  • Yeppers
    • My Personal Site
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 03:35:43 PM »
Which does absolutely nothing to make individual sites more secure, but of course each site could be made so the passwords strength is adequate for the purposes of security, but then what advantage does the added software have over the browsers built in password management?

Browsers don't encrypt the password. Anyone with access to your computer can see your passwords. If you're using the same password over and over for sites, then that compromises other sites. If you generate random string passwords, ESPECIALLY for banking, it makes it that more secure. Plus with LastPass you only need to remember one password...your master password.

Bazzdude

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 04:15:54 PM »
beer, Beer. Beer1, Beer#1   ;D  . Canuck enough for you?  ;D

*needless to say, my real passes are MUCH harder  ;D  ).

Probably something like Cheeseburger knowing  you  ;)