Skip navigation Bottom Menu ↓ Menu ↑

Windows 8.1 Preview (Read 3396 times)

• Seedling
Re: Windows 8.1 Preview
Reply #20: July 08, 2013, 04:42:03 AM Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 05:09:16 AM by SACPOP
I added Classic Shell start menu (thanks Dweez!) and it fixes most of the forced changes I was unwilling to adjust to in W8. It allows boot to desktop, adds a configurable start button menu, offers an option to turn off the active corners, and blends into the standard W8 desktop seamlessly. Oh, and it's free! It offers adjustments for other areas of Windows 8 as well, but I only chose to install the Start menu.

I just looked at their web page and it seems MS has asked them to remove a lot of the Windows logos, so newer versions (3.6.8 ) are not quite as "seamlessly" integrated aesthetically speaking, but it still works well and the older version (3.6.7) is still available on their website.

http://www.classicshell.net/

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Yeah, I was aware of Classic Shell and a couple others. I just thought that Al wouldn't be willing to use third party software.

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Do you think this will help?

Boot to desktop

Very interesting. Will definitely look into it further when I have some time, and you're right Brick, I avoid 3rd party apps as much as possible.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Yeah, I grudgingly installed Dual Monitor Taskbar so I could have a taskbar on my second monitor. Kinda bugged me but it works.