Skip navigation Bottom Menu ↓ Menu ↑

Freezing help (Read 1295 times)

• Wand Holder
  • Have you picked it yet?
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Female
No, it's not about food. ;D

My laptop a Toshiba Salellite running windows Vista has started to freeze frequently.

So far this morning it has been okay but I live in fear of having to push the button to restart again and again.

Anyone know how to fix this?

All suggestions gratefully accepted. :)

If I disappear you will know I have been locked in the freezer again. :(

:d030:  We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars.   :d030:

• Wand Holder
  • Devil dog with smile
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
There are a couple of things that immediately come to mind. The first is overheating. Laptops are notorious for that, and the ventilation/cooling systems are usually nominal at best, downright pathetic on some.  When it freezes, has it been on for a while, and what type of surface is it sitting on? 

The other possibility is an app that is bugging out in memory. Each time it freezes, is there a particular program you are running? 
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.   :P

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Re: Freezing help
Reply #2: September 23, 2013, 08:51:10 PM Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 09:33:48 PM by brickbatz
Overtheating was my first thought too. If it stays running long enough you can download/install/run a small program like Speccy. It will show all of your system specs including the temps of your components. If your CPU is in the red zone you can try reapplying the thermal paste. If you install it uncheck Download Google Chrome and Make Google Chrome your default first.

I would get a laptop cooler for it too.

*Another thing I would do is download/install/run CCleaner. Again, uncheck Download Google Chrome and Make Google Chrome your default first.

With CCleaner open (expand the window to full screen)... Click on Tools > Startup. Disable any programs that don't need to start when you turn on your computer. Restart your computer. Don't worry, they can still be started manually. There is an option to Save as text file... in the lower right corner. Save it to your desktop or somewhere you can find it. Copy and paste it to a post here. We can help you decide which ones don't need to be loaded on startup.

**If your laptop isn't overheating we can try Safe Mode with Networking.

It may freeze before completing a memory test but here's how to do it.

Open Memory Diagnostics Tool by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then clicking Memory Diagnostics Tool.‌ If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Choose between the two options for when to run the Memory Diagnostics Tool:

You can restart your computer and run the tool immediately.

You can restart your computer and run the tool later.