Skip navigation Bottom Menu ↓ Menu ↑

My new build (Read 8200 times)

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
My computer has been acting up some so I finally decided to upgrade. I ordered new hardware from Newegg. It should all be here by Tuesday.

Corsair Carbide Series 400R Graphite grey and black ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case

Intel Core i7-4790K Devil’s Canyon Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600 BX80646I74790K

ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan

G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-2133C9D-16GTX

XFX Double D FX-787A-CDBC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition Black Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

* The video card and DVD burner are in my current machine.

• Wand Holder
  • Devil dog with smile
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
Rock it out!!   I bet that set you back a few bucks huh?   :D
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.   :P

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
nice rig, should have no problem with most of the PC games out right now

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Rock it out!!   I bet that set you back a few bucks huh?   :D

About $1200.00.

nice rig, should have no problem with most of the PC games out right now

Yeah, it should be able to handle the new games without overclocking. The motherboard has a one-click overclock button for dummies like me though.

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Looks good brick, keep us posted on the build. Pics please  :)

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Re: My new build
Reply #5: March 18, 2015, 06:39:29 PM Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 06:42:23 PM by brickbatz
The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler came with the wrong standoffs. I asked Cooler Master to send me the right ones. Waiting on a confirmation for that. I didn't want to install a cooler twice but I guess I'll throw the stock cooler on it for now and forget about overclocking. :(

* I no sooner posted this than I got an email from Cooler Master.

Your part request has been approved. The replacement part will be shipped within 2-7 business days.

Tracking information will be emailed to you once the item has been shipped.

sounds like a smoking rig, performance wise, not operating temp!  Good news from Coolermaster, My hyper 212 does a great job.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
I'm not real happy with Cooler Master right now. On the 18th of this month I got an email saying it would take 2 - 7 business days to ship the missing parts for my new CPU cooler. It's been 7 working days (9 actual days) and no email. Went to their site and saw this...

Inventory Maintenance

Attention: Our US Warehouse is currently experiencing shipping delays. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this delay and appreciate your patience as we try to complete each request in the order they were received. Please note: Tracking numbers for all RMAs and Part Request will be emailed to each customer once the item has shipped.

Thank you,

CM USA SUPPORT

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
ACK!!!!!!!!!

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Have you set the machine up with the stock air cooler? Would be good to work out any software bugs prior to hammering your hardware  :)

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
No, I should though. I didn't want to do it twice but I'm running out of time should I have to RMA the motherboard, CPU or RAM.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
I finally got through to a human support person over the phone. He said I would be bumped up the list. About 15 minutes later I got an email with a tracking number. \o/

I don't see a Modify button. ???

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Good news on your cooler, and yes someone stole the modify button.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
I got my cooler parts and hooked it all up on the bench and wouldn't you know, one of the memory modules doesn't show in the BIOS. I swapped them around the good one shows in the new slot. Called Newegg and they're going to cross-ship the 2 module kit. She said they should be here by next Tuesday. If I would have waited another day I'd be SOL. The 30 day return policy expires tomorrow.

• MSN Groups Victim
  • Spruce
    • Male
Reply #14: April 10, 2015, 10:13:00 PM Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 10:29:00 PM by CdnGhost
My computer has been acting up some so I finally decided to upgrade. I ordered new hardware from Newegg. It should all be here by Tuesday.

Intel Core i7-4790K Devil’s Canyon Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600 BX80646I74790K

ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan

G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-2133C9D-16GTX

XFX Double D FX-787A-CDBC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition Black Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

* The video card and DVD burner are in my current machine.

I've got to admit, brick, that's one helluva build.

I don't know what games you enjoy playing, but for damn sure, it ain't FreeCell.

One question, though.  How tall is that "Mid-Tower"?

Reason I'm asking is because I need to build a Single-Boot Stand-Alone and a new Dual-Boot Master.  As much I'd love to go with two ASRock K7VM3 Mobos I'll probably end up with an MSI 6497 with a Pentium IV, for the Stand-Alone, and a MSI 6390 with an AMD Athlon, for the Dual-Boot.

P.S.
I've C/P'd your first post to my HDD, credited to you, of course.

On March 30th you used the acronym "RMA" when you actually meant "RME".

P.P.S.
If anyone's wondering why I hang around this place, in the wee small hours of the morning, it's because I use this "Wonderful Private Place" as a springboard to CIS and EC can't see a damn thing I'm doing or saying.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male

Dimensions (H x W x D)    19.80" x 8.10" x 20.50"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139008

RMA - Return Merchandise Authorization

Thank you for requesting a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number from Newegg.

I just got authorized to send my 2 memory modules back to Newegg for replacement. I boxed it up and printed the shipping label. I'll take it to UPS Monday morning. Hope they get here by Tuesday. It's being cross-shipped. :-\

One game I'm looking forward to is Grand Theft auto V. My video card just made the cut for minimum requirements. Everything else is above required specs. I'll try my hand at overclocking because... reasons. ;D

I don't understand the 2 motherboard deal. When you start the computer how does it know which board to use?

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
My video card just made the cut for minimum requirements.

My video card just made the cut for RECOMMENDED requirements.

• MSN Groups Victim
  • Spruce
    • Male
I'll try my hand at over-clocking because... reasons. ;D

Ever tried Over-Clocking by a Factor of 24?  My ASROCK K7VM3 is capable of that.

don't understand the 2 motherboard deal. When you start the computer how does it know which board to use?

The MSI 6497 is for the Single-Boot Stand-Alone Computer that will have Windows XP Pro SP3 64-bit as the *only* OS which will support the Full Version of AutoCAD 2007.  An old friend, and colleague, of mine purchased AutoCAD for me, unbeknownst to his employer who actually paid the bill.  If it doesn't work, as it's supposed to, I'll give him a call and ask for Windows 7 and the most recent version of AutoCAD.  His employer will pay for both of them without even knowing it.

The MSI 6390 is for my 2nd Dual-Boot Computer but will run the same two Operating Systems as my current ASROCK K7VM3: Xandros Desktop 3.0 Deluxe (Master) and Windows XP Pro SP3 64-bit (Slave).  Each OS has it's own HDD with a Transfer HDD in between.  Windows *anything* makes a good Slave.

Dual-Boots always boot to the Master, first.  But, I've got 10 seconds to chose which OS I want to run, first.  Treble-Boots work the same way but I set the Time Delay for 30 seconds.  I'm still thinking about building a 15-Boot Computer, but I think I'll hold off on that.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Two computers, right? One with dual boot. You're not putting two boards in one case. :-\

• MSN Groups Victim
  • Spruce
    • Male
Reply #19: April 11, 2015, 09:11:34 AM Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 09:33:52 AM by CdnGhost
Two computers, right? One with dual boot. You're not putting two boards in one case. :-\

Right!

Why would anybody put two Motherboards in one case?

Let me see if I can answer my own question.

If a person needed to double their available RAM then how would they tie (for want of a better term) the two Mobos together?  A Master/Slave CPU combination?

(Here's something I forgot to ask you.
(What's the base material of your Motherboard?
(I'm hoping it's Mil-Spec FR-4, as only FR-4 can withstand a temperature range of +80 C to -100 C.)