Skip navigation Bottom Menu ↓ Menu ↑

Kodi/XBMC (Read 5643 times)

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
for anybody who ever wondered what Kodi/XBMC was like or all about, they've just made it easier than ever to try/use, virtually no technical skills or hours of figuring out and setting up http://www.tvaddons.ag/tvmc-cordcutters/,
all your favorite TV shows and movies with just a few clicks, no more downloading, saving time, bandwidth, and HD space, plus, since its streaming, you're not uploading or downloading anything so your IP isn't in a swarm so "nobody" *cough* can see what you are doing. Android media players are great, cheap little devices for this, but if you want to kick the tires, put it on your laptop, then just plug your laptop into your HDTV. i've been using it on both my TV's now for about a year  :)

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Thanks townie, I don't have Kodi myself and I doubt it's available as an app through WDTV  :-\ My HTPC is disabled so I'll have to give it a whirl on my PC.

this looks quite promising!

• Wand Holder
  • Have you picked it yet?
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Female
Hi tbonky :039:

What's Kodi?

:d030:  We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars.   :d030:

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
there is a half-assed version via Plex Al that will work on your WDTV, but its not streamed directly to your WDTV, its via Plex server on your computer and it has no official support (Kodi does) so its buggier, and many streaming (very limited number) sites work sporadically.
basically Annee, Kodi is a data base of streaming torrent sites, without the downloading, instantaneous shows and movies on demand, as soon as it hits a torrent site its also available on Kodi, like Netflix on steroids  ;D
you can get pretty well anything on Kodi, movies, tv, music.... the three i use (an recommend) the most are Primewire, Icefilms, and Genesis, they pretty well have everything you'd want to watch. Kodi was originally called XBMC 'cause it was originally developed for the Xbox, they recently changed the name to reflect it is now for pretty well any OS.

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
When I add a USB drive to my WDTV, or even if I leave it plugged in I obviously have to change the location of the videos from "Network Drive" (my FreeNAS server) to "Local Storage", but there are a few other options, one being "Media Server". If I install XBMC/Kodi on my Mac or Windows machine will it suffice as a Media Server?

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
no, i don't think so. basically Kodi is a program, not a server, streaming via the program to the device it's installed on, hence the need for a 3rd party server for some devices (i haven't tried it on my WDTV but have on my Roku), Plex was the easiest, and free, but it is not actually Kodi on Plex, just a few of the streaming sites Kodi uses, and they are considered unofficial programs, if that makes sense, i believe one file is called Plex SS, which contains a few of the streams. i'll get back to you with more, i'll check my WDTV, i don't really use it anymore, i stopped downloading when i got Kodi, but even those cheap Android TV sticks can run Kodi, it may run the program and load slow due to small processor, but the streams are fine. i got the Roku on sale just as a backup, set up Plex on it, then stored it away.

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
no, sorry Al, can't be done on WD TV Live. fired up the WD and tried various ways to get it working, including streaming from Windows pc, Kodi shows up under Media Servers, but the files are empty, and i tried various settings on both the WD and pc. after searching various forums, the WD is physically unable to, the only way is basically the Plex version from the Unsupported App store, so i played around with that again, VERY frustrating, most repositories didn't work, i wouldn't bother, its the same problem with the Roku, you have to use Plex. i'd go with a cheap Android device like a Pivos, or Chinese box, apparently the Amazon Fire TV Stick works well,i think they're in the $30-40 range.

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Okay, fair enough. On the downloads page there are two different buttons, XBMC and TVMC. Which one, or both?

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
Re: Kodi/XBMC
Reply #9: June 03, 2015, 05:56:12 PM Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 05:59:32 PM by townie2
TVMC is pre-configured with the best sites from what i see, just pick the version for Windows, Linux, or Android. if you just download Kodi, its time consuming to find and install the repositories (folders with streaming site links) you want, pre-configured would be much easier, and easier to uninstall ones you don't want.

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
So where will I find tonights hockey game? (I'm at work, gonna take a stab at installing on their network).

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
i'm not sure, i'm not much into sports, so don't have any of the sports repo's, except, coincidentally, two that came in a repo i wanted, National Hockey League, which requires a log in, so forget it, and NHL On-demand, which i can get, may be on there at game time.

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
okay Al, Sports Devil is one f, if not the, most popular add on for sports, covers pretty well all of them, and i found an easy way to install it instead of going through all the repo stuff, pretty sure it has hockey too https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-manually-install-sportsdevil-on-xbmc/

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
you may also be able to get it through the Phoenix add on, which i think is already installed with the Kodi version you downloaded, it has a section Hockey (NHL), and says it will stream the game live when it starts, whether we can get it in Canada i don't know.

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
LOL!!! their streaming it live on CBC Sports on the CBC website. me wracking my brains out here trying to find a working sports add on (couldn't)  ;D

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
cool! got it going on Sports Devil (streaming via NBC Sports).

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Managed to get the Sports Devil ad-on working but it wouldn't stream, just kept buffering, but I kinda liked the look and layout.

Townie, do you use a device with your TV or just a notebook? Wondering if it might work well with my HTPC :/ I did know how to add apps to the WMC desktop, I'd have to brush up again.

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
i've used it on four different devices Al, Android TV stick was slow but streamed fine when you got it going, used a wireless mouse with it (gave it to my nephew for his bedroom TV), a Pivos XIOS DS flashed to the Linux version of Kodi, which was better than Android at the time, but they're equal now, came with a crappy, very weak remote which i just used my Harmony remote with, there is also an Android app for your cell for it that works well (gave that to sis for Sammie to watch movies), an Ouya game system which works really well for Kodi (which is why i bought it) connected to my bedroom TV (instead of cable TV) works fine with the game, controller, and a HTPC connected to my living room TV, which i use a Logitech K400 wireless touch keyboard with. wow. talk about a run on sentence, my old HS english teacher would have shot me  ;D
if you get a stream that's buffering too much, go back and try a different stream, the hockey game last night on Video Devil was buffering for me on the first stream i picked, but didn't on the second one. i mainly use it for HD movies and a few HD TV shows (currently watching the Game of Thrones series).
be gla to help with any questions or problems  :)

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Thanks townie, I'll be setting something up here at home, not sure what yet but you can bet I'll be asking for your help.  :)

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
no prob, you won't regret it  :)

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
I see there is a stand alone OS for Kodi, http://kodi.wiki/view/Kodibuntu

Might give it a whirl when I rejuvenate my HTPC. I did try XBMC a few years back, but I had no success as a standalone OS, it just didn't like my hardware so I in turn did not like XBMC.

I also see kijiji is flooded with "experienced" android/kodi installers that can change your world for $150  ;D 

• MSN Groups Victim
  • Spruce
    • Male
With a "buntu" suffix it's definitely a Linux OS which is almost, but not quite, "Bullet-Proof".

The only thing that can infect a Linux OS is one that's designed to destroy a Mac.  That's what almost destroyed mine over two years ago.  Losing my "Windows Applications" didn't help, but that was my fault.

Good luck, Al, with your Linux OS.  I hope it's got a Configurable Firewall because if it doesn't your *new* OS will be down the drain in nothing flat.

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
It is a *nix version but the GUI is solely dedicated to home theatre for use with a remote rather than a mouse/keyboard. Not sure if it even includes a browser, but it's non essential anyway.

I have a decent amount of experience with Linux and use a variety of distros for my uses, if an install were to go bad for whatever reason I could reformat and have a new OS up and running in 20 minutes, even Xandros  ;)

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
i installed the Linux version on my Pivos Android tv box 'cause at the time there were problems with the Android version of XBMC, Linux version is very fast and clean, though i just set it up for straight a straight XBMC box with nothing else on it (browser, OS, etc).

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
I think I've settled on an Android CS918...

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=169392

http://www.amazon.com/Andoer-Android-Player-RK3188T-Control/dp/B00HF3XRDC

After researching for a decent media player I found the Roku, despite excellent user reviews, was extremely limited in Canada, primarily Netflix and YouTube of the advertised 1200+ apps  ::) and also has a very limited file format compatibility, unsuitable for me. Gonna give this Android a whirl with XBMC/Kodi and a gamepad/keyboard/touchpad controller. Price is right and it will at least do what my dying WDTV did with the exception of displaying media content information.

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
I am in a similar boat. My WDTV is dying also. Playback issues, file errors, working one day and refusing to the next...

Been looking at a Roku Stick (been looking at SlingTV) and I have the same issues of file format compatibility with the set-top box.

will look at this player, thanks for the idea

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
yeah, Roku is no good, at least in Canada, unless you just want it for Netflix, won't run Kodi/XBMC except via Plex server, and that is really unreliable and spotty (i had a Roku and experimented with it, gave it to my sister who has Netflix). i noticed it was Amazon.com Al, do they ship to Canada, and is that in U.S. $? a lot of people on RedFlagDeals seem to like this one, though it's more expensive http://www.everbuying.net/product1080094.html , i find in most cases theonly difference in boxes is loading time, once they start streaming they're basically all the same, as long as it has good wifi.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Hard to believe my WDTV is ~ 4 years old and still going strong. My gal watches at least 10 movies a week.

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
@brick, even if my WDTV wasn't giving me issues I think I'd be looking at getting one of these devices just for the many extra features.

I purchased this....

http://www.amazon.ca/Yuntab-Google-Android-RK3188-Cortex/dp/B00OFF3DGY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446381827&sr=8-1&keywords=cs918

and this....

http://www.amazon.com/Rii-i8-Wireless-Rechargable-Raspberry/dp/B00Z81U3YY/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1446384290&sr=1-11&keywords=wireless+mini+keyboard

Cheap Chinese products so it may be hit and miss, but it isn't breaking the bank either so I don't mind experimenting a bit.

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
nice Al, Kodi will fly on it  :)
i still have my WDTV in storage, along with my Patriot Box Office, not much use for them right now since i stream instead of downloading. another problem with the Patriot is the wifi dongle is almost exclusive to the Patriot and expensive since they no longer make them, and my dongle died (that doesn't sound right  ;D ).

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Hoping the box works "out of the box"  ;D some have said that they have installed custom firmware, I guess when I get the thing hooked up I can see where the good and bad points of the machine are and decide if a firmware upgrade is right for me.

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Box arrived next day, I plugged it in and started it up but could not connect with my server (Windows shares/SMB) which was upsetting me at first but then the SMB shares magically appeared and I was able to link to all my data on my home server. The little keyboard is simply awesome to use with this machine! Searches in Netflix and Youtube as well as entering user names and passwords has been so much nicer.

The next hurdle is figuring out how to get content in Kodi, I have ad on installer and see the ad ons from within there, but have no idea how to access them once I agree to install them. So far I've grabbed Phoenix, Genesis, and TV shows, they seemed to install somewhere but I don't see them anywhere on the Kodi home screen.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Is it a media server, a normal size PC?

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
try this first Al to see if they installed, on Kodi home screen put your cursor on VIDEOS, then move it down to Add-ons and click it, Phoenix, Genesis, etc. should be there, just a matter of clicking on one of them to start it (menu- movies, tv shows, etc.). i'll check back after work to see if it worked, we'll have you watching movies by tonight  :)

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Is it a media server, a normal size PC?

No, it's just a little device, smaller than the WDTV. I pasted links above.

try this first Al to see if they installed, on Kodi home screen put your cursor on VIDEOS, then move it down to Add-ons and click it, Phoenix, Genesis, etc. should be there, just a matter of clicking on one of them to start it (menu- movies, tv shows, etc.). i'll check back after work to see if it worked, we'll have you watching movies by tonight  :)

I did that, I see the add ons that I have enabled in Video/Add-ons but they are in a huge list of other add ons. I was looking through phoenix last night and was able to watch HGTV, one of my favorites.  :)

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
if you go to VIDEOS>Addons, then scroll to the bottom,there is one there called Get More..., click on that and it will show you what addons are enabled, ones you don't want just click on it and it will give you a sub-menu with options, including disable and uninstall, i just use uninstall (and of course you can also install new ones on the list).
from main Kodi menu Al, go to Programs>Program Add-ons, and see if you have a program listed there called Config Wizard, if not, go down further to Get More.... and get it, that program makes it VERY easy to get good addons, as you'll see when you download and open it. i'd also highly recommend Prime Wire (also called 1 Channel), my favourites are Prime Wire, Genesis, Phoenix, and IceFilms, after that, just anything that catches my eye, they're free and i can always uninstall them if i don't like them  ;D

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Thanks townie, I'll follow your instructions and see what I can come up with.

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
keep me posted Al, i'll keep checking back or pm me  :)