Skip navigation Bottom Menu ↓ Menu ↑

windows 10  (Read 9824 times)

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
well I clicked the little button on my desktop on both laptop on desktop

upgrade was yesterday, the tower went smoothly, the laptop needed few restarts for drivers to update

otherwise I like what they have done so far

anybody else take the jump?

(oh and yes, using Chrome on win10 right now and page is good)

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
I used the technical preview for some time and rather liked what MS has done with this OS, have you tried Cortana yet? I have it on my phone but haven't tried the PC version. Apparently W10 is the last OS that will be available as a fully OS install, all releases after this will be updated versions of this release as well as being available to OEM users, much the same route as OSX.

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
have not tried Cortana yet. I dont have mic set up for the tower, do have my gaming headset and built-in mic on laptop. I have used S-voice (samsungs Siri) and not really liked it.

I get upset at voice prompts on phone lines ("if you want billing say 'billing') so I am hesitant using voice recognition.

now the cool thing I just saw Win10 can do is face-unlock. Check this out http://gizmodo.com/your-computer-probably-cant-use-one-of-windows-10s-cool-1721459061

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
i had also tried the developers version for a short time then reverted back to 8.1, i had just found too many quirks at the time (wasn't compatible with my Kaspersky for one), but signed up my HTPC for notification for download to see how it works now (HTPC is what i had it on before too), HTPC currently running Win 8.1 (with Win 7 classic shell) so its not really a big gamble, meanwhile until i test it out some my desktop and laptop will be staying with 7, which i really like.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
I was having a problem getting the Windows 10 update. It kept failing. I tried everything I could find to get it to update for 2 days with no joy. I reinstalled Windows 7 hoping that would fix it. 300 updates later it still wasn't available. I was digging around and I found this. It worked.

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
didnt have problems downloading on the 2 machines that are in normal use, I did use that Media Creation Tool for a tower that we plan on putting in the 9yr olds room

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
didn't get my download notice yet for the HTPC, i know i could just get it but i'm in no panic, that's the one running 8.1, didn't set the download notices for the two running 7.
i believe there's also an ISO of 10 you can download and use for a fresh install.

• Wand Holder
  • Devil dog with smile
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
I ran the preview for a month or so on a separate machine, but haven't upgraded yet. I may not for awhile. I like 8.1 and I have no issues whatsoever. I don't intend on creating issues by installing a first release version. I will wait until at least the first service pack before I decide.  :D
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.   :P

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
I will wait until at least the first service pack before I decide.  :D

I was going to do that but I wanted DirectX 12 so I pulled the trigger. I'm glad I did.

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
so far so good, no real issues that I can blame on win10 (same odd glitches that I had on 8.1), and can say SWTOR (mmorpg) runs smoother

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
mine has hit a glitch on the HTPC. first update attempt froze at 32% with 6% drivers, after 6 hours, apparently a common problem. after reboot (where it reverted back to 8.1) tried again via direct Windows Updates, 8 hours later it's still downloading. apparently the problem is rumoured to be drivers, it has trouble finding and loading some with some computers. i'll let it sit while i'm at work, then if its still not done i'll try a few other things then use the ISO/flashdrive method if i have to.

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Installed on my aunts mediocre Acer laptop yesterday with one small glitch after the installation was complete; a black screen that was unresponsive to any attempts at resuming, a hard reset rebooted the machine and has been good so far.

Installed the upgrade on my desktop last night. Shame on me for being too lazy to run a clean install, but it seems to work. I will say the appearance is somewhat different than the technical preview that I was using last year, but I can still manage to find my way around and customizing has been rather simple so far. 

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
i'll let it sit while i'm at work, then if its still not done i'll try a few other things then use the ISO/flashdrive method if i have to.

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool has an option to Upgrade this PC. You don't need the .ISO, it downloads and installs.

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
I think he was trying to do the upgrade when it failed on him.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
I thought he was trying through Windows updates. :-\

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
first  i tried via Windows 10 notification (download as ready to install, schedule an appointment or proceed now), after that hung, i tried via Windows Update. anyway, surprisingly, when i got home it was ready to install, so i did, at tweaked it a bit, still some playing around to do later. my HTPC is just 4 GB RAM with a Celeron processor, and it shows using 10, very slow to load and boot, and on Kodi the mouse lags badly.

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
solved the laggy wireless mouse problem, the dongle was mistakenly plugged into a USB 2 port instead of a USB 3 port, but 10 is still slow to boot, and full load up takes about two minutes.

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
I leave tower running 24/7 so no start-up issues

laptop when not in use gets put to sleep or hibernate mode, I only do restart when needed. Will time full load up, but I dont think it takes me a full 2 mins

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
I recall when using 10 with my SSD the boot times were incredible, but seem to rather slow with the retail release and a plain jane SATA drive.

Desktop is still working great, may upgrade Jules laptop also.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
I have Windows 10 on a SSD. Just did a restart and it took 40 seconds to shut down and restart.