Skip navigation Bottom Menu ↓ Menu ↑

windows 10  (Read 9873 times)

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Is that faster than Windows 7 booted for you?

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
From off to the desktop Windows 7 took ~13 seconds. Never timed a restart.

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
it's not as bad now as it was last time, i suspect it may have been doing the Windows Update thing last time, boots faster, loading still a little slow, desktop and taskbar load up in say 20 seconds, but takes about a minute after before you can run something like FF, but i also suspect Kaspersky may have something to do with that, its heavy on resources and slow to load/update, when it expires i'm going to go with either NOD 32 or Bitdefender.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
I used Microsoft Security Essentials for 7. Windows Defender is the default AV program for 10.  Looks the same as MSE, I'm using it.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Might need to change privacy settings.

https://fix10.isleaked.com/

• Every soul finds its way home
  • Lock and Load Ladies, its Go time.
  • Shrubbery
    • Female
the one thing right now that I don't like about Windows 10 is the need to activate the moment you install it.  every other version of windows gave you 30 days before the activation was truly necessary.  I have it installed on a virtual machine right now. not really too impressed with it.

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
apparently you have 30 days to roll it back if you don't like it http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-10-revert-os,29727.html

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
I have it installed on a virtual machine right now. not really too impressed with it.

From your avatar I assume you play games. You don't like DX 12? Or are you a console peasant gamer.  ;D

• Shrubbery
    • Female
I have done both. I originally came from the PC gaming world. and moved to console because its easier to deal with. and don;t have to upgrade everything just to play a game here and there. I like Direct X just fine but I don't like what Microsoft is doing in general. with trying to lock down things and the multiple things they hide from everyone. having bugs in the system that don;t get patched for years... etc.not to mention that if you need support on something, you have to pay for the support. (found that out the hard way by making the stupid move to contact them about an issue I was dealing with on Windows Server 2008 that could have been answered with one response) my operating system of choice for what I actually use the computer for is Linux. I do run Windows 7 on my School laptop and will have that for as long as I am still in School.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
I was just kidding. I have an Xbox 360, PS2, Wii and shelves full of games for them.

DX 12 is an improvement over DX 11 - 11.1 even if your video card doesn't support it. It uses all 4 cores of an Intel CPU to help your card render video whereas older versions only use 1 core. I'll upgrade my card (AMD Radeon 7870) when the prices drop a bit more.

• Shrubbery
    • Female
I have an XBOX 360 and PS4 currently and I hear ya. but are there any games out there that really support it. Direct x 11 was out for a long time and PCS are just now over the last I wanna say at least 2 years are utilizing the 64 bit processor for game and system requirements. I have been using 64 bit since 2011.  Man will always be a step behind technology it seems lol.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
There's a good article about DX 12 here. It explains things other than Xbone usage.

http://www.neowin.net/news/directx-12-a-game-changer-for-xbox-one

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
Re: windows 10
Reply #32: August 18, 2015, 10:02:07 AM Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 07:53:11 PM by kayos0826
did the Media Creation Tool upgrade on one tower (Cj's). well.... at first everything golden just like the others. then came adding him on the tower as a user (child account)

OMFG what a PITA they make just to ADD a child, not to mention a forced charge on a credit card to verify age (50 cents)

then it wont work, all good on the Microsoft Account setup, just wont log into the tower, keeps signing out.

so I try to add a standard user to see if the child account it the issue, well that did not work either.

come to find out that one of the only fixes is to edit the registry, or do a reset / re-install. all info I find points to a corrupted install.

so I go and do a reset, that fails and locks the system up. working on a FULL factory wipe now, 2 hours in to updates.

and it works as Win 8 and start the update to 8.1 to go back to 10 (with a new copy this time)

then a reset, only to get "Updates Failed, Reverting Changes"

and still working as I type this, will update with more info as the resets go

so now it locked up, wont even boot, cant get to the boot menu, F keys dont work, and already tried to reset CMOS

I dont know what to do, other then take the drive out and wipe it and start fresh, good thing that there is nothing on the HD that I want saved

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
The F keys should work even if you didn't have a hard drive installed.

Try a different keyboard.

Do you know what a LiveCD is? I'd try one.

http://www.linux.com/directory/Distributions/livecd

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
the keyboard is good, think something graphics-wise is the issue also, the screen never wakes up on restart

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
that is linux stuff,  I understand what linux is, but never used it.

I need to get to the boot directory, or I am just going to pull the HD and wipe it and do a full clean install

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
I don't understand how the keyboard can be good and the F keys won't work. It has nothing to do with an operating system.

And why do you have to remove and wipe a hard drive before doing a fresh install?

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
the computer wont boot, period, I turn the computer on and it does nothing. black screen, no windows logo, heck the monitor wont even wake up

everything was working before the updates failed and it was rolling things back. this was from it working as fresh restore win 8. went to get the 160 some updates it needed.
in the process it didnt like something and did the roll back failure.

now all the computer does (and yes I have left it on for over 8 hours) is sit there, the fans run, checked the monitor on other system, it works, keyboard lights up when power on

but nothing but a black screen.

so if I cant even get to BIOS or boot menu my only other option that I know of is removing the drive so I can wipe it with a different tower

I will say thank you for your help so far.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
I'm trying to figure out why you can't get into the BIOS. You tried the keyboard on another system too?

Sorry to keep asking about the keyboard but you said the F keys do nothing.