Skip navigation Bottom Menu ↓ Menu ↑

windows 10  (Read 9875 times)

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Or some, such as my Asus board use Del to enter Bios.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Yeah, my Asus board uses either F2 or Del to open the BIOS settings.

I would try a LiveCD. That will tell you if the RAM is working without removing or swapping the modules around.

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
That's if the machine is set to boot from optical before HDD. Great idea though, distros have been a great tool for me over the years. 

• Wand Holder
  • Devil dog with smile
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
It sounds like you possibly had an already existing or about to exist hardware failure before the updates and rollback. Try this- unplug all drives in the machine, including any cd/dvd drives. Have absolutely nothing plugged into the board except keyboard. Then attempt a boot and bios access. If it still doesn't post or allow you into bios, it is hardware, not anything to do with Windows. Try removing the ram, cleaning contacts and reinstalling it, but In most cases that I have seen in the last few years, a weak or about to fail power supply will do exactly what you are experiencing.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.   :P

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
will try the "tear everything apart" idea tomorrow

also will check the keyboard on different machine. the boot is F12 on the tower, the F1 goes to a system restore utility, and havent got a boot disk to try

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
well I wish I had good news...

hooked everything up in the office, thought I would just try it again, simple startup. sat and watched it for min or two, and right as I press the power key, the monitor lights up, but too late, I had pressed

so try again, no luck, longer wait. nothing. pulled the RAM, reseated, no change. pulled the sata on the hdd and tried to boot to bios. nothing happened, no beep, tried F2.

loaded up the Hirens disk, started cold with everything hooked up. nothing. pulled the HD and tried to boot. nothing

have checked the keyboard and mouse on different computer and both work ok

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Did you try just 1 stick of RAM? Swap them around and try a different stick? Does the fan spin on the PSU?

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
only one 4gb stick, have not tried to shift to other slot, and yes both PSU and CPU fans spin

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Intel onboard graphics? Dedicated video card?

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
yes, Intel HD Graphics, onboard

just as a test, the tower has been going for about 12 hours now, no change, blank screen

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Does another of your machines use the same type RAM?

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
It wouldn't have to be 4GB.

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
yes, my other tower uses DDR3 sticks

I do want to add for info that when I pulled the RAM stick and HDD when re-seating the RAM stick I didnt plug it in all the way and got the "3 long 1 short" beep (bad or not hooked up RAM).

I reseated and no beep code.  dont know if that info helps

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Re: windows 10
Reply #54: August 23, 2015, 04:27:03 AM Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 04:59:53 AM by brickbatz
I'd try swapping the RAM but the PSU could be the culprit. I'd try swapping that too. What brand is it? Off-brand or cheap PSUs suck. Even a good 'brand name' unit loses power over time. I've had so many PSUs fail I keep a new one, still in the box, on hand for backup and troubleshooting.

No peripherals are connected, right? Optical drive...

* When you tried the monitor on a different machine did you use the same cable? Can you try a different cable? If it's using a DVI or HDMI cable, try a VGA cable.

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
same cable for monitor test, worked on other machine, and did flash on for a second on the problem tower

nothing connected other then the USB mouse and keyboard (which I have tried different slots in testing)

havent tried to swap RAM yet

PSU is a LiteOn

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
If you swap out the PSU I think you only need to connect the 24 pin connector and the 8 or 2 x 4 pin CPU connector to test it.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Did you give up?

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
taking a break... lol

turns out I can kill 2 birds with 1 upgrade. want to get a bigger PSU for my tower (more power, I can get a good GPU)

so the plan is yank the other PSU and get a new one for it. well that is not in the budget just yet

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
You probably don't need the 750W PSU but this is the one I recently bought.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438017

Warranty
Limited Warranty period (parts): 10 years
Limited Warranty period (labor): 10 years