Skip navigation Bottom Menu ↓ Menu ↑

windows 10  (Read 9872 times)

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Not using AV reminds me of the Buck Naked Underwear commercial.

Duluth Trading TV Commercial: Buck Naked Underwear Small | Large

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Bitdefender has good ratings and reviews, i'm using it on my laptop, not quite as fast as NOD, but fast and light. available for free for a year (quotes):

Thanks townie, I'll certainly look into Bitdefender also.

@bricks, I don't think we have that brand here but if they're more than $20/dozen they're too rich for my blood  ;D

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
I finally got infected. My browser was getting redirected. A guy, supposedly from Microsoft, tries to chat. "Are you having problems with your computer?" Riiight, Microsoft to the rescue. ;D

DNSChanger
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DNSChanger was a DNS hijacking Trojan active from 2007 to 2015. The work of an Estonian company known as Rove Digital, the malware infected computers by modifying a computer's DNS entries to point toward its own rogue name servers, which then injected its own advertising into Web pages. At its peak, DNSChanger was estimated to have infected over 4 million computers, bringing in at least US$14 million in profits to its operator from fraudulent advertising revenue.

Both Windows and Mac OS X variants of DNSChanger were circulated, the latter taking the form of a related Trojan known as RSPlug

Thank you MBAM. 

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Good stuff brick, I can't recall the name of the culprit but I had a nasty one on a customer's macbook pro, redirecting safari and opening literally hundreds of instances of the app, Christ helped me get rid of it with just a few clicks.   :)

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
got a 430W PSU, hooked it up to the problem tower, and still same problem, powers up, but no video

even tried to hook up thru an HDMI, still nothing.

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
i just did a repair install on my laptop with Win 10, something screwy was going on but i couldn't find it, slow loading,wouldn't install Windows update, programs disappearing, could get into Safe mode but not with networking, etc. ran 3 or 4 different anti-virus scans, deleted cache and old updates for Windows, reinstalled fresh IE and FF, nothing worked (CCleaner always stalled at 10% cleaning IE), so i suspected registry problem, anyway, the repair fixed it, updated and zipping right along again. they must stil be ironing out kinks in 10, my Win 10 htpc keeps rebooting after shutdown, it was a flaw in 10, and Microsoft had released a path for it in an update, which seemed to work, but after the last update it started doing it again.

• Wand Holder
  • Devil dog with smile
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
I finally upgraded one of my laptops to 10. So far, all is well. I will admit that it is faster than 8.1, but I despise all the Cortana integration and ad crap in it. I disabled Cortana, have absolutely no use for it myself.

This was a free lappy. A little over year ago, a friend brought by a Toshiba that would not power up. I traced it to being a bad motherboard. At that time, the best price for a new board for this one was somewhere around 175.00. He said forget it, keep it for parts. It sat in the box for over a year on a shelf. A few weeks ago, it caught my attention again, so I searched for a board again. I found a brand new one for 59.00 plus 5.95 shipping.  :Woot_Emoticon:  It was factory loaded with win 7, and once it was up and running, it did the updates and offered the free 10 deal. I had to try it out.  :)
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.   :P

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
wow, now THAT'S a deal, $65 for a laptop. i have, eventually, upgraded my 3 computers to Windows 10, definitely better than 8.1, still not sold that its better than 7, but, would have had to get it eventually so figured might as well get it now and get to know my way around it a bit, and its basically stable now.

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
I think with 10 it's a bit of customizing to your specific device, Cortana is awesome on mobile but not so useful with a desktop. Same applies to the multitude of settings that all seem to be privacy related, knowing where they are and how simple they are to switch on/off is key.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male

By default, Windows sends a lot of your information to their servers sometimes without asking you to opt-in. Follow this guide to fix Windows 10 and restore your privacy.

https://fix10.isleaked.com/

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Good guide, thanks.

I've been learning quite a bit about Win 10 this past while, simple things like getting the control panel to the start menu can be annoying when you're not familiar.

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
bookmarked, thanks Brick.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
I've been learning quite a bit about Win 10 this past while, simple things like getting the control panel to the start menu can be annoying when you're not familiar.

Right click on the start button.

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
very cool, didn't know that and was getting frustrated but was too embarrassed to ask  ;D
i still have quite a bit to explore about 10, still just basically using it the same way i used 7.

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
there is also some quick access settings on the bottom of your notification icon on the taskbar when you click it.

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
I've been using multiple drives for probably the last decade and prior to that I was an advocate of creating separate partitions for OS and data, it's always been kinda sloppy to target new locations for documents, pictures, music, etc, and once you do create new locations the old folders are left in C drive with user and guest folders for each category. With Win 10 the entire folder and all it's contents is moved to the new location leaving no sloppy unused folders hanging around. I like it  :)