Skip navigation Bottom Menu ↓ Menu ↑

Windows update downloads files to your PC without your consent. (Read 1658 times)

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Windows update downloads files to your PC without your consent.
If you are a Win 7 or 8 user and are receiving the annoying prompts to upgrade, even after declining and may also suspect that WU has downloaded the bloated Win 10 image file onto your HDD, here is a good method of checking and removing the unwanted update files and the image file from your computer.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-10-download-windows-7-8/

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
Re: Windows update downloads files to your PC without your consent.
thanks Al, will give it a try on my laptop, i was on the verge of doing a fresh install 'cause it's been slow the last little while, i'll try this first (Win 7, i3, 6GB RAM) as i do have the upgrade notice and file.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
i was on the verge of doing a fresh install 'cause it's been slow the last little while

What exactly is slow? Programs? Browsing? Explorer (folders)?

Do you ever run CCleaner?

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Have you got programs installed that you don't use? How full is your hard drive?

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
approx 350 GB free on a 500 GB HD. boots up fairly fast but is slow to load after the Widows password log-in, and programs are slower loading than they should be. Kaspersky could be part of the problem, my HTPC with 4 GB RAM got a lot faster when i switched to NOD32, i don't think HD Sentinel slows it down much even though it starts on boot up.