Skip navigation Bottom Menu ↓ Menu ↑

New PC build (Read 3126 times)

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Building a new PC for some close friends, they do not game but do quite a bit of word processing as well as some excel and photo=shop work. This is what I've picked out so far, hopefully black friday will offer some more savings but I have my doubts.

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Have everything now except a GPU and speakers. Was going to grab an R7 240 2Gb card but the sales guy said that the GT 730 would outperform it, no sales on the GT 730 and I'm nearing the upper limit of my budget, aside from asking the people for more money.

Any ideas for a low end GPU? 

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-210

just a shot in the dark, Im still hunting for a good mid-level card to upgrade my tower (think I got a PSU, but that is only if the other one works), I saw this and sounds like it meets the needs

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
That's a pretty low end card. What are you going to use the PC for?

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Grabbed the GT 740 for $75.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
I used a 5450 a few years ago. Wasn't good for gaming but it was a decent card for general use. I think the GT 740 is a better choice. It supports DX 12.

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Yeah, DX12 was the attractive feature next to the price  :D  People have no intentions of gaming, they just want something fast, up to date, and a little future proof (if such a thing exists).

Main work tasks will be Excel, Photoshop, and Lightroom.

When I was waiting to get in on the Black Friday sale at Canada Computers the guy from the store was walking down the line handing out vouchers to get the Samsung EVO SSD 250Gb for $89, I was all prepared to get the Sandisk 240Gb for $79 but in brief conversation with the guy the EVO is the SSD to get, he actually said the Sandisk is a piece of crap  :o Not very professional, but I grabbed the EVO anyway, when I looked at my stuff last night it turns out I ended up with the 500Gb model. I'd like to take it back since 500Gb is honestly not needed for a boot drive, but the hassle of waiting in line and driving all the way there has me pondering.

Anyhow, I really love Canada Computers, it's the last brick and mortar PC parts store in existence around these parts, even our Tiger Direct superstore has closed in favour of on-line shopping. I like to browse in RL with real products in hand.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
I have my OS on a 250 GB EVO and my games on a 500 GB EVO. I think DX 12 may help in Photoshop. :-\

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
I have my OS on a 250 GB EVO and my games on a 500 GB EVO. I think DX 12 may help in Photoshop. :-\

Thanks, I'm sure you've researched SSDs out quite a bit more than I have, I just don't have time these days with my house being under major renovations, by me of course. I did jump on the SSD bandwagon 4 or 5 years back and purchased a Crucial 64Gb drive for Win 7, I was extremely happy with it but I gave it up to the stepson's budget gaming PC. He's still using it, quite happily I might add.

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
most of the folks in my SWTOR guild love Samsung EVO SSDs. Heard the EVO Pro was just a bit better, mainly gaming useage

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Finished build

Samsung 24" Monitor
M597A Motherboard
FX 6300 3.5 Ghz Hexa Core Processor
16Gb GSkill Ripjaws 2133Mhz RAM
500Gb EVO Boot Drive
1Tb Storage Drive
Zotac GT 740 GPU
EVGA 430 Watt PSU

$975 CDN, W/Case, Fans, Heatsink, DVD,Peripherals...

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
nice, very impressive Al. you certainly did your homework getting all those parts for that total price.

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Thanks townie, it's not for me, it's for some good friends. I'll be building something nice in the new year, kinda liking the white theme though  :)

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
i agree, never thought of going with white before but it looks very nice, clean, bright, modern....

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Hard to find parts for though, had to out of town to pick up the monitor.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Looks good Al, nice job.

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Motherboard is borked, returning it this afternoon. Black screen on start up, one time CLRTC worked but when it did it again I'm getting nothing. The people are a bit disappointed but understanding.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
It sucks when defective parts make you look bad. "Why didn't I just buy a pre-made PC?"

I built a PC for a friend to use for his business, keeping in mind that his grandson was a 9 (going on 13) year old gamer. I barely talked him into an AMD 5450 graphics card and a 24" monitor. Told him he needed that for 1080p. Never told him why he needed an Intel i5 CPU and 8 GB of RAM. ;D  Had to RMA the PSU that came with the case. Got lucky and Newegg gave him credit for it so I was able to order a good one.

I put Call of Duty Black Ops III on it for his grandson but it lagged so bad he couldn't play it. Talked him into buying an EVGA GeForce 750 Ti ("Come on, he's your grandson FFS"). It was DOA. Threw the 5450 back in it until he could RMA the card and get a new 750 Ti. Installed it yesterday and Call of Duty played fine.

The hardest part about the whole build was convincing him he needed to upgrade his old problematic P4 Dell and 4:3 monitor.

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Sounds like you were dealing with someone that just needed some educating, I'm sure he must notice the dramatic difference between the new build and the P4.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
He likes the the new PC but doesn't think he needed it. I needed it because I was tired of trying to find parts for the old Dell.