Skip navigation Bottom Menu ↓ Menu ↑

PC won't POST (Read 4850 times)

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Dang thing was running fine before I fixed it. ;D

I bought a new AMD RX 480 on Newegg and an i5 CPU on ebay, installed them and it won't POST. Can't get to the EUFI BIOS.

I stuck a new CMOS in it, reseated the RAM, video card and all other connections. Started my main PC with the SSD (Windows 10) as a test and moved it back. Threw the i3 back in it (same - no POST). Used known good SATA and power cables. Removed the video card to try Intel graphics with no joy (fans spun up on the card). All the fans spin up (CPU + 2). Don't have a backup PSU. I don't think I bent any pins while installing the CPU (I'll take a closer look after trying to get some sleep).

I'm out of ideas. :-\

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
I feel your pain. I just got a AMD RX 460 yesterday. Thought I had the power needs covered, just needs 75w off the rail the specs said. I get the card (its nice and shiny) and get everything in, and nothing. Black screen. Wont boot up, just black screen.

So I check the Intel HD is shut off, cant shut anything down in BIOS to force the PCI-e to get used over the on-board. So after checking few different things I have come to realize I need a bigger PSU.

For your problem, have you tried the GPU with the old CPU? Also double check your PSU. More I read it is a good idea to go over the min system requirements, so if you need 400w get a 500w. I found a deal on an EVGA 600w at bestbuy on sale. So might get that today.

oh and fyi, get a mechanical keyboard, so much easier to type, and reduces stress injuries 

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Re: PC won't POST
Reply #2: November 05, 2016, 08:34:14 AM Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 09:13:32 AM by brickbatz
I took the RX 480 out and connected the monitor to the motherboard via HDMI (running off Intel built in graphics). I was able to get into the BIOS for less than a minute (it was intermittent, flashing off and on) then it went blank again. It never did even try to load Windows. I have a 550W Antec PSU in it that ran my AMD 7870 fine. The card calls for a 500W PSU but I know 550W is cutting it close. Still, it should POST using just the onboard graphics. What are the odds of the PSU going bad after installing new hardware? :-\

:( My multi meter is down. I got a beep code (1 beep - DRAM refresh failure) when I took out all the memory and started it up so I don't know why I don't get any with the memory installed.

** I just bought an EVGA 80+ Bronze 700W, Power Supply at Amazon. I love Amazon Prime same day delivery. :)

I really don't think that will fix the problem but ya gotta start somewhere. ¯\_(O¿O)_/¯

For your problem, have you tried the GPU with the old CPU? 

Threw the i3 back in it (same - no POST).

Good thought though, thanks. :)

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Well, as I thought, it wasn't the PSU. I have 2 sticks of 4GB DDR3 memory coming on Monday. If that doesn't fix it I think I need a new motherboard. :-\

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Did you try it with just one stick of RAM?

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Did you try it with just one stick of RAM?

Yup, swapped the 2 sticks back and forth in the 2 slots.

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
so you did try the new CPU with the old graphics? Sorry if confused, Ive been chasing my own issue..lol.

I got a new PSU myself, thinking that is the issue, EVGA 600w 80+ Bronze. Hooking it up later today. Hope it fixes my issue.

good luck with you issue, by process of testing it is starting to sound like the mobo may be the grumpy part...?

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
so you did try the new CPU with the old graphics? Sorry if confused, Ive been chasing my own issue..lol.

I got a new PSU myself, thinking that is the issue, EVGA 600w 80+ Bronze. Hooking it up later today. Hope it fixes my issue.

good luck with you issue, by process of testing it is starting to sound like the mobo may be the grumpy part...?

Oh yeah, I tried every combination I could think of.

Good luck on your project.

Now I'm getting dizzy trying to find a socket 1155 motherboard.  :o

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
I just ordered a motherboard. I hope the CPU I bought on ebay didn't fry the old one. :-\

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
what version windows do you have? if it is Win 10 build 1607 (the anniversary update) then that is your problem.

It has to do with not being able to disable Secure Boot. 

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
what version windows do you have? if it is Win 10 build 1607 (the anniversary update) then that is your problem.

It has to do with not being able to disable Secure Boot.

I have Windows 10 but it's not new, been there since the free upgrade from Windows 7. It was working before swapping hardware. I have the same Windows 10 on my main PC, the one I'm using now.

Regardless of the operating system I should be able to get to the BIOS.

I have a new motherboard but I'm afraid the ebay CPU may bork this board too. We'll see soon. :-\ 

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Stupid question maybe but you're positive the new CPU is an 1155 and not an 1156? And if it is an 1155 was it listed in the Motherboards QVL?

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Yeah, it's an Intel 2500K socket 1155. I put the i3 2120 back in it and it still wouldn't post.

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
still double check your version, there are reports on number of tech sites of the things that the Anniversary Update killed (Skype webcams, GPU's, monitors). It has to with the WHLQ secure drivers. Win 10 requires them

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
No, you would still get a POST screen even if you didn't have a HDD or SSD connected to the PC. And it worked fine before I changed out the hardware. Anyway, I bought a new motherboard, threw on the i5 CPU, new RAM, new video card and same old SSD with Windows 10 on it and now life is good. I got what I was looking for. The i3 - AMD 7870 benchmark is on the left, i5 - RX 480 on the right.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
I feel your pain. I just got a AMD RX 460 yesterday.  Wont boot up, just black screen.

Did you get it sorted? Was it the PSU?

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
replaced PSU with a EVGA 600w. still wont POST. even unplugged the HD and only had the GPU plugged in to find out if it would POST, still wouldnt.

everything that I have read and what an IT guy at a computer repair shop said points to Win10 build 1607.

I have looked for a way to turn on the PCI-e slot in my BIOS, no luck.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Intel CPU? Have you tried using the onboard Intel graphics? It could be a bad video card.

I think I'd find a new IT guy. If your problem just started after installing the graphics card I don't see how he can blame Windows 10.

• MSN Groups Victim
  • Spruce
    • Male
More and more, I'm glad I didn't upgrade to Win 10.

Of course, that doesn't solve the problems I've got with Win 7.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
You can get to the BIOS. I missed that. Is it EUFI? If you click on Boot in the BIOS can you see your hard drive? Try clicking on that and loading Windows from there.

I like Windows 10.

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
i5-2320 CPU, updated BIOS to UEFI, no option in BIOS to disable Intel Graphics and turn on PCI-e and or disable Secure Boot (in System Info shows that as Unsupported)

the GPU is a AMD Raedon RX460. I have disabled onboard graphics in Device Manager, no luck. I get no POST beep if the GPU is plugged in and powered up.

I reason I say anything about Windows 10 is that I have read reports of Build 1607 causing driver issues and GPU's not be recognized on AMD and Nvidia's sites

Major point. I have done the steps to access BIOS as many sites have told me to turn things on in BIOS. There is simply not the options they are listing, just not there.

I have an Acer Aspire m1935 mobo with BIOS P01A02.

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Kayos, if you're getting to BIOS, it IS POSTing. If it won't POST with the new GPU you need to be sure you have the proper connectors in place and that you have sufficient power. Since you have a new PSU, I'm assuming the power is not an issue. Also, PCIe lanes should be automatically activated as soon as a device is plugged into it and BIOS should switch over video assignments to that device when a monitor is plugged into the card.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Like i did, you'll have to use the process of elimination.

Again, did you try it without the card installed? Did you check the boot order to make sure it's trying to boot the HHD instead of an optical drive or a flash drive (that should be removed).

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
Kayos, if you're getting to BIOS, it IS POSTing. If it won't POST with the new GPU you need to be sure you have the proper connectors in place and that you have sufficient power. Since you have a new PSU, I'm assuming the power is not an issue. Also, PCIe lanes should be automatically activated as soon as a device is plugged into it and BIOS should switch over video assignments to that device when a monitor is plugged into the card.

GPU plugged in = no POST
No settings in BIOS for Secure Boot or giving boot priority to PCI-e over integrated graphics.
Disabling Intel HD Graphics in Device Manager doesnt help.

Like i did, you'll have to use the process of elimination.

Again, did you try it without the card installed? Did you check the boot order to make sure it's trying to boot the HHD instead of an optical drive or a flash drive (that should be removed).

Everything works as normal with the GPU unplugged. I plug the GPU in and power up the computer it does not POST. I unplugged all drives and the GPU could still get to BIOS, plugged the GPU but left the HDD unplugged, no POST no BIOS.

End result no matter how many different things I have tried and combinations I have tried as long as the GPU is plugged in the CPU will not POST and can not get to BIOS.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Reply #24: November 09, 2016, 07:18:32 PM Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 07:45:48 PM by brickbatz
You have the 6 or 8 pin PCIe cable running from the PSU to the card, right?

Like Al said once the card is installed the PCIe slot is hot. I don't know why you are hung up on the secure boot thing. Windows boots, just not with the GPU installed.

Kinda sounds like a defective video card. Can you return or RMA it?

* I built a PC for a friend and had to RMA the video card. The next one they sent out worked fine.

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
power straight from PSU to GPU. there is a LED on the card that when powered up it turns blue, when powered by rail only it is red. (blue is working red is not)

GPU plugged into PCI-e slot, no PSU power = CPU booting
GPU plugged into PCI-e slot, plugged into PSU = No POST No BIOS

This is the 2nd card and it is doing the same thing as the 1st one. Same problem, 2 different GPU's.

Not hung up, just what a Computer Repair guy told me when I asked about this issue.

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Reply #26: November 10, 2016, 09:34:21 AM Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 09:38:11 AM by JulesAndAl
When it boots with the PSU power cable unplugged, does the system act as normal? Will it boot to the OS?

Having a gander at the RX 460 system requirements, I found this;

Power Consumption
With a rated board TDP of 75W, it requires at least a 350W PSU and relies entirely on the PCI Slot for Power, meaning no Extra Connectors are required.

http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/?gid=3599&graphics=Radeon%20RX%20460%204GB

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
In that case I wonder why it even has a PSU/GPU connector?

Not hung up, just what a Computer Repair guy told me when I asked about this issue.

I still think he's talking out of his a**.

Can you upgrade to a Radeon RX 470?

Power Consumption
With a rated board TDP of 120W, it requires at least a 400W PSU with one available 6-pin connector.

http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php?gid=3598&graphics=Radeon%20RX%20470%204GB

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
When it boots with the PSU power cable unplugged, does the system act as normal? Will it boot to the OS?

Having a gander at the RX 460 system requirements, I found this;

Power Consumption
With a rated board TDP of 75W, it requires at least a 350W PSU and relies entirely on the PCI Slot for Power, meaning no Extra Connectors are required.

http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/?gid=3599&graphics=Radeon%20RX%20460%204GB

yes, GPU 6pin connector not plugged in it will boot up and run as normal. In fact as I type this the GPU is in the slot (red light on) and not plugged in.

I have this PSU http://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-80-plus-600w-atx-12v-eps-12v-power-supply-black/8511029.p?skuId=8511029

and yes, some models of the rx460 dont need the 6pin, the 2gb or other configs. this one does.

In that case I wonder why it even has a PSU/GPU connector?

I still think he's talking out of his a**.

Can you upgrade to a Radeon RX 470?

Power Consumption
With a rated board TDP of 120W, it requires at least a 400W PSU with one available 6-pin connector.

http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php?gid=3598&graphics=Radeon%20RX%20470%204GB

check the link on the PSU

and yes he may have been but after research I have found many reports on both AMD and Nvida GPU not being recognized after the Anniversary Update.... so he may smell like a turd.... but he may not be that off....

this is the card that I have and can not upgrade to a different card. at this point in time I will either wait for a fix from AMD/Microsoft, or roll back to build 1511, or get a new mobo that I can control the BIOS better on and will have better room for me to grow in

CPU is a i5-2320 3.00ghz 

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
About 2 years ago friend of mine couldn't get his PC to load Windows. An engineer friend of his, from a nuclear power plant, told him he had a bad hard drive. I installed the HDD in my computer and it was fine. I threw an extra video card I had in his PC and Windows opened. He's still using that PC. Sometimes the pros don't know sh!t.

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
kayos, the link I provided was also a 4GB card, I would recommend running it without the connector and try something like UniqueHeaven (free version) and see if the card is performing reasonably well.

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
Reply #31: November 10, 2016, 06:58:46 PM Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 07:04:55 PM by kayos0826
without the 6pin connector the GPU doesnt get enough power, and doesnt work, when I do plug it in the computer wont POST

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfx-amd-radeon-rx-460-4-gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card/5549901.p?skuId=5549901

this is the GPU

here is a link to someone having the same kind of problems I am having
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3157620/signal-radeon-460.html
https://community.amd.com/thread/204651

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Do you have another PC you could try the card in? Is it still under warranty? I would tell Best Buy it was DOA and get a new card. You don't know that's not true.

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
the GPU isnt dead, tested it out and the GPU is good

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Tested it how?

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
another computer

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Black Friday motherboard?

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
doing a full factory wipe and leaving it at Win 8.1

if it does the same thing after that, then yes a new mobo is in the future

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
update, rolled back to 8.1 and no luck, with more research it is the motherboard. since I cant shut off "secure boot" in BIOS there really are not any GPU's that will work

so now hunting for a new mobo, I have a i5-2320 CPU. any suggestions?

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Reply #39: November 12, 2016, 08:28:15 PM Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 08:36:03 PM by brickbatz
That's a socket 1155. This is the one I just bought and it works a charm.

https://www.amazon.com/P8H61-M-CSM-R2-0-Intel-Motherboard/dp/B008NA1K0S/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1479004035&sr=1-1&keywords=asus+1155+motherboard

* I didn't install anything from the 2 CDs. Didn't touch the BIOS. I did check and the Bios are up to date. I had the .CAP file on a flash drive and was ready to flash to Version 1414 but it was already there. It was plug and play.

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
looks good, think I will be ordering that tomorrow

thanks

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Reply #41: November 12, 2016, 10:47:59 PM Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 10:53:43 PM by brickbatz
Radeon Software Crimson Edition Graphics Driver Installer for Windows 8.1 64-Bit

Do you have Crimson Edition 16.11.3 Hotfix (driver)? Release date 11/9/2016

Is your driver signed?

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+8.1+-+64

I don't think you have to disable Secure Boot in the EUFI.

How to Disable UEFI Secure Boot in Windows 10/8.1/8

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Reply #42: November 13, 2016, 01:40:52 AM Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 02:02:22 AM by brickbatz
I don't think you have to disable Secure Boot in the EUFI.

I guess you do. I didn't read the whole article. You have get into the EUFI Boot menu. Did you look there for a Secure Boot option?

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
there isnt one in the BIOS of this mobo

on a funny sidenote - did a factory restore wipe on my laptop (had not been done in 4 yrs) and there as an error, well long story short, I had to go to the TroubleShooting Restore page in Windows. And what was there, but the screen that had the options I needed.

so to confirm, not one single way to change any EUFI Boot options in my Gateway tower (Acer Aspire m1935 mobo)

most likely will be ordering the mobo you suggested very soon. just have to make sure the other parts I will be taking off the old mobo will work with the new one

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
The CPU will work. You need  DDR3 1600;DDR3 1333; DDR3 1066;DDR3 2133 RAM (up to 16GB - 8GBx2) I have the Ballistix Sport 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1600 (Price: $43.99)

P8H61-M LE/CSM R2.0 Manual

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
I read this... The option to disable Secure Boot becomes available when a supervisor password is set. Acer

How to Create a BIOS Password Small | Large

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
Reply #46: November 13, 2016, 02:32:08 PM Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 02:47:17 PM by kayos0826
Gateway
DX4860-UB21P
Intel Core i5 2300 2.8GHz
6MB L3 Cache
8GB
1TB
DVDR
Intel Core i5
CPU Speed
2300 (2.80 GHz)
L3 Cache Per CPU
6 MB
CPU Socket Type
LGA 1155
CPU Main Features
64 bit Quad-Core Processor

Memory
Memory Capacity
8GB

Hard Drive
HDD
1 TB

Optical Drive
Optical Drive Type
DVD±RW

here are my specs, I have a 600w PSU that will be used and the GPU of course

did try to set a password, but never exited BIOS, will try and report,

set a password, saved and exited BIOS, restarted, check BIOS again and Advanced Troubleshooting in Windows. NO new options.
looks like I am getting a mobo

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
I would get the new board too. Your specs don't show what type of RAM you have.

You need DDR3 1600;DDR3 1333; DDR3 1066;DDR3 2133 RAM

It's written on the side of the module or you could use a free small program called Speccy

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
8GB DIMM DDR3 clocked @ 1333 MHz

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Looks like you're good to go. Now for the part that I hate, waiting for delivery.

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
I know what you mean, one reason I like ordering from Amazon is quick shipping times.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Yeah, I have Amazon Prime. It's $100.00 a year for discounts on some items, free 1, 2 or same day shipping on some items, free movies and music... well worth it.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
What's up with the PC?

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
just havent gotten the mobo ordered yet. neighbor that is helping me do the build hasnt gotten back to me.