Skip navigation Bottom Menu ↓ Menu ↑

New PC (Read 5656 times)

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Grabbed an ASRock Z170 Pro 4S and an Asus RX 460 STRIX OC 4GB for $120CDN, brand new and in my search for an 1151 CPU I managed to find an i7 7700K for $250CDN, also brand new, kinda pleased with the CPU even though it's much more than I need but I'll use it.
Hunting for DDR4 kits now and a decent SSD, and probably a new case. I haven't built something for myself in years so it's due time.  :)

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
very nice!

I have the same GPU and it does quite nice for web graphics and handles World of Warcraft at FULL "Ultra High" settings and still gives me 20-30 fps.
It will also handle x265 HEVC for video and I am running an i5 2320

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
very nice!

I have the same GPU and it does quite nice for web graphics and handles World of Warcraft at FULL "Ultra High" settings and still gives me 20-30 fps.

So normally an RX 460 doesn't require extra power, but I noticed the card has a 6 pin connector. I'm assuming the extra power connector is essential?

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Re: New PC
Reply #3: July 11, 2017, 04:18:05 AM Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 04:28:08 AM by brickbatz
So normally an RX 460 doesn't require extra power, but I noticed the card has a 6 pin connector. I'm assuming the extra power connector is essential?

I would give that connector power even if it gets enough power from the PCI-E slot.

Memory is expensive as hell now. I think I read it's because of the demand for mobile memory(?)

You'll soon be ready for some gaming.  ;D

:o You're  happy with 20~30 FPS? Can you overclock it? Do you have the latest driver installed? What does it get if you take it down to medium to high settings? I'd give up some highest end graphics for 60 FPS.

Try MSI Afterburner to overclock it.

How to Overclock a Video Card - Beginners Guide Small | Large

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
I would give that connector power even if it gets enough power from the PCI-E slot.

Memory is expensive as hell now. I think I read it's because of the demand for mobile memory(?)

You'll soon be ready for some gaming.  ;D

That's what I figured. Still considering putting the i7 up for bids and getting something a bit less powerful, although if I keep it it should future proof me for a bit.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Keep it. I'm still using my i7 4790K (overclocked to 4.4 GHz) but I'd use a 7700K if I could. It's a different socket than the 4790 so until I can get a socket Z170 or Z270 motherboard I'm pretty much stuck with the 4790.

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male

I have a 500w PSU for it and yes it needs both power plugs to work

:o You're  happy with 20~30 FPS? Can you overclock it? Do you have the latest driver installed? What does it get if you take it down to medium to high settings? I'd give up some highest end graphics for 60 FPS.

That is in Raids or high population areas. I normally run around 60 fps and I have it set at a 9.

The fact that it CAN do 20-30 fps at Ultra is a VERY good thing. My old system wouldnt do 5fps at Ultra

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
That is in Raids or high population areas.

Oh yeah, it's been maybe 8~10 years since I tried to play a WoW demo on an old P3 Dell desktop with onboard graphics. I remember how bad it lagged in town and near the markets.

• The Odd Mod
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Female
I managed to find an i7 7700K for $250CDN, also brand new, kinda pleased with the CPU even though it's much more than I need but I'll use it.

Naah, there's no such thing really, is there?  :dance:

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
yea... you wanna talk about too much...?

guy in my WoW guild has 2 of the RX 1080's running together with an i7 and a ton of RAM

then again the guy is a professional photographer and needs the raw power for image work

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Naah, there's no such thing really, is there?  :dance:

No, but if the rest of the system isn't equally matched, it's a bit of a waste but it will still perform extremely well for years.

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
guy in my WoW guild has 2 of the RX 1080's

Do you mean GTX 1080s?

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
Do you mean GTX 1080s?

Yea...lol... I just heard 1080 and I started drooling...

• The Odd Mod
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Female
lol a friend gave me a nice flatscreen but before we even got it in the house Jesse claimed it as his newest monitor :P

• Mandalorian Protector
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
what is the boy playing now?

my 11yr old has gotten the FPS (first person shooter) bug and is playing the Call of Duty's. Trying to get him into Overwatch so he can get a big contract later and so I will have a nice nursing home when old.

if he is playing World of Warcraft my guild is on Zul'jin and we are Horde.

• The Odd Mod
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Female
Ack! He has a huge steam account, I'll pm the details since this is in general catagory. He said just send him a request and you can see everything he has and he's down to play any of them :) Lately he convinced a bunch of guys he's been playing with for about  5 years now to play the first Starcraft  ;D

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Yea...lol... I just heard 1080 and I started drooling...

I'd drool over 2 RX 580s in cross-fire.

My GTX 980 Ti plays modern games at 1080p - 60 FPS. Would do 144 FPS but my 27'' monitor (gifted) is only 60 Hz.

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
I'd drool over 2 RX 580s in cross-fire.

My GTX 980 Ti plays modern games at 1080p - 60 FPS. Would do 144 FPS but my 27'' monitor (gifted) is only 60 Hz.

Me too, although I think your single 980 would probably be a better choice all round. Waiting to see how the Vega's perform in real world experiences, if they're as good as some initial benches we could see some nice Ryzen/X370/Vega combos for less $$$ in the future.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Waiting to see how the Vega's perform in real world experiences, if they're as good as some initial benches we could see some nice Ryzen/X370/Vega combos for less $$$ in the future.

If you can find one. Video cards are hard to find at a decent price now thanks to Ethereum miners. The RX 480 I bought for $274.99 USD 11/2/16 is now going for $474.99.

AMD Vega Frontier Edition Ethereum Hashrate Small | Large

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
If you can find one. Video cards are hard to find at a decent price now thanks to Ethereum miners. The RX 480 I bought for $274.99 USD 11/2/16 is now going for $474.99.

Good video, thanks!

I still say sell the card  :) You could grab the wife a 1060 that would probably suit her just fine. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487263

So much for AMD/Nvidia releasing "budget" cards for the crypto mining crowd, by the time they do release them crypto mining will be dead and the losses will be passed on to the gamers when new cards are released.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Reply #21: July 25, 2017, 09:38:06 PM Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 10:10:50 PM by brickbatz
I still say sell the card

She's not hearing it. When I could have sold it for ~$700.00 she said sell your own card, mine stays where it is. I'm glad she's happy with it but...

So much for AMD/Nvidia releasing "budget" cards for the crypto mining crowd, by the time they do release them crypto mining will be dead and the losses will be passed on to the gamers when new cards are released.

The miners probably won't go for those mining cards because when they're done with them they can't sell them to gamers.

* AMD and Nvidia are kind of in a tight spot. It's good business for them to sell so many cards but it hurts the sales of other gaming peripherals. If we can't build PCs because we can't find cards for a reasonable price things like monitors, keyboard/mouse, CPUs, motherboards, PSUs, drives, cooling, cases... all take a hit.

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Good point brick.

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Well, now I managed to find another Samsung T240 for cheap, so I'll have 2 x 24" monitors. Not the best for gaming @ 5ms, but fair enough for my purposes. I like that it's 1920 x 1200, slightly taller than the average 24"screens of today @ 1920 x 1080.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001275

Now I'll have to get moving on finding some RAM, the case is cheap and I already have a PSU.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
You like 1920 x 1200 better than 1920 x 1080?

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
You like 1920 x 1200 better than 1920 x 1080?

Yeah, I like the taller screens, not 4x3 but 16x10 over 16x9.

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Reply #26: January 01, 2018, 01:48:52 PM Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 01:54:29 PM by JulesAndAl
After some time, I finally got around to getting the rest of my parts. I'd like to get a better GPU but then I know I'd be spending too much time gaming when I have so much else on the go right now, so I'll stick with this for a bit.
Build specs are;

Corsair Air 540 Case
ASRock Z170 Pro4S Motherboard
Intel i7 7700K CPU
16GB 3000Mhz Corsair Vengeance
Asus Strix RX460 4GB  GPU
Western Digital 256GB NVMe SSD
Assorted Storage Drives
Deepcool 240MM Liquid Cooler

I took advantage of the Z170's M.2 Slot and installed a WD 256GB NVMe, Reads 2050 MBps, Write 700MBps, it's extremely fast but I had concerns about it being directly beside the PCIe slot and below the card.

Lots of room in this case, the PSU and drives are located in the right side compartment, out of the way.

The bottom of the case hosts two hot swap bays, I have a couple plugged in here, worked flawlessly installing and removing on the fly.

Powered up!

I've tried a few combinations for the two monitors, currently I'm using the HDMI from the RX460 and the HDMI from the Motherboard with Intel Graphics.

Old and tired Saitek Eclipse Keyboard, and I haven't installed my Gigabyte Mouse yet.

Not a single issue with powering up or installing Windows, both BIOS and Windows recognized the PCIe SSD, Windows 10 installed in 5 minutes from a USB drive and the machine boots to Desktop in under 10 seconds.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Reply #27: January 04, 2018, 04:22:02 PM Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 04:29:18 PM by brickbatz
I bought the XFX RX 480 8GB card for my gal's PC. It plays games on medium to high settings. The 470 probably will too.

Is this the case?

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
I bought the XFX RX 480 8GB card for my gal's PC. It plays games on medium to high settings. The 470 probably will too.

Is this the case?

Yep, that's the case.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Nice. I see you have a PCIe SSD. Where would you put a third or fourth HDD?

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Nice. I see you have a PCIe SSD. Where would you put a third or fourth HDD?

Tons of room in the other compartment, but no provision has been made for 3.5" drives. Since the 3.5" bays are hot swap, I don't really need to have them all mounted at the same time. . It has storage for an additional 6 x 2.5" drives, I'm thinking SATA SSDs will eventually come down to affordable prices, but who knows.

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Ordered an RX 580 Nitro,

http://sapphirenitro.sapphiretech.com/en/580-SE.html

...it's back-ordered, maybe 3 to 4 weeks. $525 CDN including taxes, was the least amount of being fucked over for a card that I could find. Newegg had a 1070ti for $659 + taxes and shipping that was also out of stock but I checked the auto notify anyway. Next day while I was sitting having coffee the email popped up that the card was available, I couldn't run the purchase fast enough through my paypal acct before the deal went dead---no stock, and now the card doesn't come up on their site anymore.

I'll sell my Asus Strix RX 460 for $200 and not be set back too much.

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Ordered an RX 580 Nitro

Nice 8 GB card. Now you have to start gaming. ;D

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
very nice! i have to do fresh install on my DT after i back up pics, etc, it blue screens or freezes up after being on about 48 hours  ;D