Skip navigation Bottom Menu ↓ Menu ↑

Origin pc (Read 473 times)

• The Odd Mod
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Female
Origin pc
OP: July 15, 2017, 08:21:53 PM Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 08:25:43 PM by knownassociate
Does anyone know anything about the Origin pc? I'm not familiar with it at all. A friend asked me what I thought about it and it looks really good to me...incidentally he's giving me his old Asus (which is newer than mine) when he gets his new one ^.^

https://www.originpc.com/promotion/2017/july-promo/

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Definitely very high quality PC's, I didn't catch any of the prices but I'm sure they're as extreme as the PCs  ;D

• The Odd Mod
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Female
From what he was saying and the what I saw they do look good. I hadn't heard of Origin before. But how can he go wrong with the options they offer! We won't talk about the computer of his I have here because he got into the bios and it would no longer boot  ;) He is a photographer so he needs something with guts.

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Is it a laptop he's getting from origin?

• The Odd Mod
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Female
Re: Origin pc
Reply #4: July 16, 2017, 06:10:27 AM Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 06:45:32 AM by knownassociate
No, a desktop, Millennium. Ah ha! Origin was founded by former Alienware staff. That explains the awesome :D   I don't really like the power box on the bottom of the case.

Review includes benchmark scores compared to a Digital Storm and a Falcon Northwest. https://www.digitaltrends.com/desktop-computer-reviews/origin-millennium-2016-review/#/1-4

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
No, a desktop, Millennium.

Cool, seems all of their desktops are built with name brand quality components which will certainly outperform other PC manufacturers products but at the same time, those components are all readily available on sites such as NewEgg and can be put together for a relatively low price if the person is not up to the task of assembling a PC, to build the same unit myself I can almost surely guarantee to save a couple thousand,  OTOH many people just don't have the time for that and would rather spend the extra to get a fully working PC with warranty.

I don't really like the power box on the bottom of the case.

99% of all PC "builders chassis" have the power supply at the bottom of the case, and power supply manufacturers make their units to fit into the bottom of the chassis, it's a better design for both airflow and cable management.

• The Odd Mod
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Female
Yup, I'm a looooong time newegg fan. Their prices have gone up, of course, but still are good. And the quality of service and goods hasn't lessened which has always impressed me. His original plan was to give me the money and have me build it, but a warranty is a good idea for him...

• The Odd Mod
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Female
lol he decided to turn me loose with a grand to put something together for him after the Origin cost had reached $2700 and was still going up. So I'm liking the ease of starting with one of the bare bones from new egg. He's, as I said before, a photographer, but he is also a gamer and so wants something vr ready, all on the same machine. The bare bones thing is not set in stone and I would really appreciate ideas, suggestions anyone has. Thanks, this might be fun :D

EDIT: ok, yeah, I know...I double-posted

• politically incorrect
  • Spruce
    • Male
Video cards are at a premium now due to Etherium miners buying them up. I reckon AMD cards are their first choice. An AMD RX 480 8GB I bought November 2016 for $275.00 USD is now $500.00+. I had to replace a card in a friend's grandson's PC and settled on an EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC (super clocked) for $290.00 USD at Newegg. The kid loves the card. GTA V looks beautiful. It's supposedly VR ready but he'll never afford that.

• The Odd Mod
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Female
Holy cow!! Graphics cards have gotten soooo expensive!! That grand doesn't even cover a graphics card, cpu and power supply much less mobo, liquid cooling. About the only thing affordable are hard drives now. What was it, 2 years ago that hdd prices were so high?