Welcome Guest - Please login or Register

Author Topic: Time for a dual boot  (Read 244 times)

Offline Yautja

• Sprout
Time for a dual boot
« on: December 15, 2008, 04:12:41 PM »
I've got a spare HD and Linux is going on it.
Im slowly starting to hate Windows,not one person i know with Linux,has experienced half the crap and stress i go thru with Windows.
   Ubuntu here i come.

Offline ozzyfudd13

• Hillbilly Deluxe
  • Sequoia Supreme
  • Some things go bump in the night, others fall down
    • Update
Re: Time for a dual boot
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 04:24:19 PM »
Never tried that, keep us posted. I've thought about it once or twice but worried about starting over and learning a completely new OS.

Offline busterone™

• Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
  • Devil dog with smile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 04:36:53 PM »
finding drivers for some hardware and compatible software as an equivalent to a favorite Windoz version is usually the only holdup. Learning the OS is not really difficult. Ubuntu is a really easy flavor to learn and most of your user configurable settings can be done through the GUI. I have several installations of Linux, but to be honest, I haven't even turned them on much lately.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.   :P

Offline Moose47

• Sequoia
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 04:56:13 PM »
Good luck Gee. 

I've been curious to try this, but so far too timid to take the plunge.
I look forward to hearing how you go with it.
THIS SOFTWARE IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS, LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES OR OTHER EQUIPMENT ...
   -  iTunes 2009

Offline Yautja

• Sprout
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 07:50:28 PM »
I'll never hold down ordinary job,therefore i must learn as much as i can to go self employed.

Offline Boosted

• Pissing people off since 1976
  • Spruce
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 10:25:06 AM »
finding drivers for some hardware and compatible software as an equivalent to a favorite Windoz version is usually the only holdup. Learning the OS is not really difficult. Ubuntu is a really easy flavor to learn and most of your user configurable settings can be done through the GUI. I have several installations of Linux, but to be honest, I haven't even turned them on much lately.
Linux has more issues than just up to date drivers for new equipment.
One of the biggest things holding it from going mainstream is the fact that it has to emulate games to play them.
My linux instructor said it best, *nix is great as as server, but as far as comparing to ease of use, it has a long way to go to compete with windows. And this is from a self proclaiming *nix nut.

I would also argue that I have had very little trouble with XP since SP2. Vista I still have problems with fairly often. Hell 4 out of my 5 comps that run XP have not been shut off except for power or replacement parts in 18-24 months even.
If you do not like my opinion, I do not care. I do not like yours more.