Skip navigation Bottom Menu ↓ Menu ↑

new rule as of today (Read 13919 times)

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
I've had it with poor quality downloads, I've learned to be patient and wait for the h264 to be released.

• Peace, Love, Strobe Lights
  • Wand Holder
  • thats some bad hat harry
  • Sequoia
    • The Recipes of Twitter friends
    • Female
I have learned to just go to my neighborhood Blockbuster and rent the damn things and rip em me self.

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Only problems I have with renting DVDs are:
                                                                  1) It's inconvenient.
                                                                  2) It's expensive.
                                                                  3) They're available here long before the stores have them.
                                                                  4) BluRay rips are superior to DVDs and/or DVD rips.

• geemonster

I've just watched Training Day on my comp 1080p-i
Flawless pic and sound using Media Player Classic-Home Cinema thru a 2.1 surround,sounded pretty damn good.
  Can't wait for 5.1 surround though my comp is capable of 7.1

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
Re: new rule as of today
Reply #24: October 17, 2009, 10:04:11 PM Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 10:22:26 PM by townie2
while we're on the subject  ;D  , if i download  something in BlueRay, but burn it to a regular DVD5, would it still turn out in High Def? (not BD, but in HD?)

*ps: can something in HD be burned as a data file and still turn out HD?

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Downloading H264 (MP4s) Blue Ray rips in the 1.5 - 2.5Gb range produces an excellent converted DVD disk. The better uploaders (Release Lounge and Kingdom Release) also come with 5.1 audio.

MKV Blue Ray rips (1080p and 720p) in the 6 to 12Gb vicinity do not convert well to DVD5 or DVD9 for that matter.

Although I have many MKVs myself, I would advise staying clear of these large files since they require more bandwidth. There are never as many seeders or peers associated with these types of files due to the excessive bandwidth, so uploading (and downloading in some cases) takes a small lifetime.

MKVs are great for an HTPC, or if you are patching your PC to your big screen TV.

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
thanks Jules. just got my first hi def t.v. last night, and my DVD player plays hi def, so I'm trying to learn more about hi def DVD's. by the way, installed my new hard drive from Canada Computers today, thanks for the tip ( site is bookmarked  ;D  )

• politically incorrect
  • Conservative
  • Sequoia
    • Male
Good stuff bud, try looking for movies from the uploaders I mentioned above, they have some good quality material that will look great on your new TV.

• The Odd Mod
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Female
 :)

• politically incorrect
  • Sequoia Supreme DeLuxe
    • Male
aw, its nothing fancy. only 32", but i have a small living room anyway. had to panic shop, tube went on my old CRT Thursday night, got the new one Friday morning. you know how those surprise bills are  ::)

*check your PM's please jules.

• The Odd Mod
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Female
It's about time we had some order around here   ;D

We are actually just returning to the original policy in the help threads. GW and chris t were masters at insuring we kept frolicking to a minimum there!  :D

• geemonster

Downloading H264 (MP4s) Blue Ray rips in the 1.5 - 2.5Gb range produces an excellent converted DVD disk. The better uploaders (Release Lounge and Kingdom Release) also come with 5.1 audio.

MKV Blue Ray rips (1080p and 720p) in the 6 to 12Gb vicinity do not convert well to DVD5 or DVD9 for that matter.

Although I have many MKVs myself, I would advise staying clear of these large files since they require more bandwidth. There are never as many seeders or peers associated with these types of files due to the excessive bandwidth, so uploading (and downloading in some cases) takes a small lifetime.

MKVs are great for an HTPC, or if you are patching your PC to your big screen TV.

I make it a rule to never download a HD MKV larger than 6GB normally.
  Most are 4.36GB

• Wand Holder
  • Sequoia
    • Female
Re: new rule as of today
Reply #32: October 18, 2009, 04:20:09 PM Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 04:31:26 PM by harley
Wow, we really wandered off the topic of this thread now havn't we folks!

I have amended my post about the Video Downloading that had previously placed here. Just realized this was The New Rule Thread.

Will post it elsewhere so as not to wander off the subject to awfully much.

It is a sticky after-all.

However, just want to say real quick as my previous post was a
bit a long so I will make the topic of my previous
post short and sweet instead...
Good Advice Jules about the vid downloading and 1:1 copies of rented Bluray disks are just great too!

• geemonster

Computer monitors are inherrently higher resolution.
So you could get a decent Graphics card and use one.

• Wand Holder
  • Sequoia
    • Female
I have a great new Monitor with an excellent Graphics Card and a Digital PVR,
I just hate to watch movies on the computer.

• geemonster

Mine was £100 but i've seen a graphics card on Ebay for £2,000
Must be the Dogs bollocks is all i can say.

• Wand Holder
  • Sequoia
    • Female
If I were married to Mr. Trump I would not spend that kind of money
on a freakin computer just to watch movies! dogs bollocks or no !
Geezie Louisie!

• The Odd Mod
  • Wand Holder
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Female
Wow, we really wandered off the topic of this thread now havn't we folks!

I have amended my post about the Video Downloading that had previously placed here. Just realized this was The New Rule Thread.

Guess it is as close as we can get to playing in the help threads, or the last opportunity to do so. ;D

Maybe it should be split off?

• Wand Holder
  • Devil dog with smile
  • Sequoia Supreme
    • Male
nah. everyone have some fun.  :)
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.   :P

• Wand Holder
  • Sequoia
    • Female
Fun is good!  I'm in!
A duck walks into a bar and asks, "Got any grapes?"

The bartender, confused, tells the duck no. The duck thanks him and leaves.

The next day, the duck returns and asks, "Got any grapes?"

Again, the bartender tells him, "No -- the bar does not serve grapes, has never served grapes and, furthermore, will never serve grapes." The duck thanks him and leaves.

The next day, the duck returns, but before he can say anything, the bartender yells, "Listen, duck! This is a bar! We do not serve grapes! If you ask for grapes again, I will nail your stupid duck beak to the bar!"

The duck is silent for a moment, and then asks, "Got any nails?"

Confused, the bartender says "no."

"Good!" says the duck. "Got any grapes?"